Friday, April 23, 2010

It's all fun and games until someone needs stitches.

Our dock was installed this morning.  Of course the kids wanted to play in the water and fish and everything right away. The fact that it was only 65 degrees apparently didn't bother them at all @@.  I let them play on the sand and wade in the water a bit because I'm nice like that, and because I had a friend coming over that I haven't seen in 10 years and wanted to talk to.  I did say no going on the dock without me and I will say I was pleasantly surprised by how well they did at following that rule!  My son begged me to let them go fishing because Daddy had set up their poles, but I have a hard fast rule--Momma doesn't touch fish.  EVER.  So they had to wait for Daddy.  Well by the time he was done with work, they were chomping at the bit to fish so I sat up on the deck with my friend while the 3 of them sat on the dock and fished.  The baby was asleep.  Of course Meg got too excited and tried to jump or something and started screaming because she cut her knee.  Got her up to me and there was a tiny little scrape, barely bleeding.  I got a bandaid and a wet paper towel to clean it and was doing just that when I noticed there was blood on the ends of her hair. . .and dripping down her chin.  WTF?!?  Turns out she must have hit the post at the end of the dock when she fel,l, the post Scott hadn't capped yet b/c his children were clammoring to fish.  Of course she's more concerned about the knee and didn't even notice the gash on her jawline.  After mopping up the blood, and of course after applying a bandaid to the booboo on her knee, I decided that this would need some medical attention.  It was a pretty good sized gash.  Of course Scott (the same man who fixed a huge cut of his own with a paper towel and duct tape) said Naw, just stick a butterfly closure on it and it'll be fine.  Well, I know my daughter and I know if I did that, she'd peel it off an hour later and say she was fine, so I unfortunately had to cut my visit short and take her to urgent care.  I mean, for crying out loud, we don't even have a pediatrician picked out yet and I'm already having to take her in! 

Once we finally got called back to the exam room, the nurse took one look at the gash and relocated us to the surgical room.  I'd like to say Meghan was a calm brave girl, but that wasn't the case.  I had to physically restrain her so that the doctor could numb it without accidentally jamming the needle thru her cheek when she thrashed, then suture it shut.  Meghan screamed thru the first 2 stitches, at which point she finally just calmed down.  I thought maybe she'd passed out or something, it was really weird.  Lucky I went and not Scott, he would have passed out or puked because my face was like  6 inches from the wound, and I watched her stitch it up.  I'm a Mom, things like that don't gross me out.  Plus I think as a Mom, you just enter this state of mind where you just suck it up and do what needs to be done, and freak out later.  That's how a mom can sit still and hold a baby while they're puking all over you (because you know if you try to run them to the toilet, they're just going to get puke on the carpet that you're going to have to clean up later, and they've already got puke on you, might as well let them finish), you just go into what I like to call "mom-mode".  I didn't cry or freak out or anything, I just spoke calmly to her and tried to distract her while the doctor stitched her up.  She got 4 stitches by the way.  Afterwards, when it was all over and she had her boo-boo bag and was ready to go (she got a bag full of goodies, 2 beanie babies, a coloring book and crayons, a couple of little books, and a mini chalkboard) I started feeling pretty shaky.  I'm not sure if it was from the adrenaline or the effort of holding her down (she is STRONG) or what, but I was pretty wobbly.  Still am.  I still feel like I could use a good crying jag too, but no time for it right now.  :)  I am really proud of my baby girl though, she did pretty well.  I somehow knew she'd be the first of my kids to get stitches.  She has inherited my grace, or lack therof.  She can trip walking thru an empty room. 

As a treat, her daddy took her to McDonalds when we got home, and they are on their way back so I need to sign off and get ready for dinner.  I just hope it doesn't start hurting her too much later, I hate when my kids are in pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment